I reproduce below the response from Thames Valley Police to a Freedom of Information request. My questions are in italics.
Dear Dr Watt
Reference No: RFI2010000758
Thank you for your request for information dated 07/11/2010 which for clarity I have repeated below followed by our response.
1. Have Thames Valley Police closed the investigation into the death of Dr. David Kelly?
2. On what date was the investigation closed, what were the reasons that it was closed and who made the decision to close it?
There are no ongoing Police enquiries into the death of Dr. Kelly. Our enquiries were substantially complete by the time ACC Page gave evidence to the Hutton Inquiry on the 23rd September 2003. Mr Page’s evidence can be found at 195.1 at:
Please contact me quoting the above reference number if you would like to discuss this matter further.
Can you tell from that answer when or whether the investigation was closed?
No, neither can I?
Why are Thames Valley Police being so evasive about it?
Remember that when David Jones MP asked similar questions in Parliament, he too got an evasive answer which I discussed here: The death of Dr. David Kelly - When did the Police investigation close?.
Clearly Thames Valley Police are very nervous about honestly stating when the investigation into the death of David Kelly closed (if indeed it has closed).
Why might that be?
The following are some possibilities that occur to me.
1. The investigation is still "open", although Thames Valley Police are currently doing nothing about it.
2. Thames Valley Police closed the investigation before the Hutton Inquiry reported.
3. Thames Valley Police closed the investigation before the Coroner declined to reconvene the inquest in March 2004.